Hamlet is quite a frustrating character. He walks around complaining about life, how everyone is horrible and debates if he would be better off dead. Hamlet being pissed off carries over into how he deals with others, especially in regards to Ophelia. He reminds me of those “poor me” people in today’s society who pick on the little guy because they have so much hatred for themselves they have to take it out on other people. I don’t know if I am the only person who sees Hamlet in this light, but more I go over the story, the more evident these truths become.
The character I am choosing is Ophelia. She is a quiet, submissive, protected girl who is stuck in the middle of the vicious web that is being spun. Ophelia is a supporting character that is a foil to Hamlet because they both have lost their fathers. They deal with the grief in opposite ways by Ophelia going mad and Hamlet sought revenge in his own way. Ophelia is on the receiving end of Hamlet’s hatred towards women. He tears her down and calls her a whore.
“I have heard of your paintings too, well enough. God has given you one face and you make yourselves another. You jig and amble, and you lisp, you nickname God’s creatures and make your wantonness your ignorance… To a nunnery, go”. (Act 3, Scene 1, 145).
Suicide is the theme that I have chosen. I found it interesting that while Hamlet was on his way to speak to Ophelia he makes his speech about life and death and suicide. He mentions if he would be better off killing himself than facing the trials of life. “When he himself might his quietus make with a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear, to grunt and sweat under a wear life, but that the dread of something after death…” (Act 3, Scene 1, 75). He is foreshadowing suicide, but does the reader does not know its Ophelia until later.
Friday, March 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your interpretation of Hamlet was pretty funny. Now that I think about it, Hamlet does seem a little emo sometimes. Although, I dont really know how I would act in his shoes. I think knowing that my mother was sleeping with the murderer of my father would make me a little morose.
ReplyDeleteI am enjoying the men's blogs so much that I look forward to reading yours every week. I love your intrepretation of Hamlet's character, I hadn't thought of him in that light. It sounds like you are getting tired of his procrastinating his avenging his father's murder. I found it kind of surprising that he didn't act on impulse and just kill the man. Instead he does what a woman might have done and waits to prove to himself that his potential deed will be truly for just cause. I love your insight and intrepretations you and the other men bring to the blog!
ReplyDeleteMy second favorite Hamlet question: Did Ophelia commit suicide? Even if she intentionally drowned herself (which is by no means certain), was her mental state such that she could realize the effects of her actions?
ReplyDeleteAs to whether Hamlet was emo before emo was cool? Well, I think his brooding was his tragic flaw, but he did sort of have a right to mope a bit.
Im totally with you on Hamlet's character! I mean, come on, just get over yourself and do something about it! Ugh, I was getting so tired of all his "poor me, maybe I should just kill myself" charades...be a man!
ReplyDeleteIf I knew my uncle murdered my father and then my mother went and married my uncle, I would be considering suicide as well. Well, maybe not suicide quite at that point, but once everyone around me lied to me, caused me and my girlfriend to break it off, and had to deal with all that other stuff I would consider it.
ReplyDelete