Friday, April 9, 2010

NRJ#1: Imperialism

The theme I chose that is a very prevalent theme throughout the story is imperialism. I thought it was an interesting topic since it is prevalent throughout the book, and also can be analyzed in comparison to modern day events. The quote I chose to use from the book is the following (the page number is different because I have the eBook, it’s about halfway through section I):

“A slight clinking behind me made me turn my head. Six black men advanced in a file, toiling up the path. They walked erect and slow, balancing small baskets full of earth on their heads, and the clink kept time with their footsteps. Black rags were wound round their loins, and the short ends behind waggled to and fro like tails. I could see every rib, the joints of their limbs were like knots in a rope; each had an iron collar on his neck, and all were connected together with a chain whose bights swung between them, rhythmically clinking.” (Conrad 13)

Conrad uses clear and detailed imagery to show the plight that the natives in Africa were faced with as a result of the takeover. The imagery shows a very dim outlook for the natives, and the detail he used emphasizes his point he is trying to get across: imperialism is evil. Conrad also uses a nice piece of sarcasm later in that same paragraph out of disgust for the situation, saying that “after all, I also was part of the great cause of these high and just proceedings” (14). The clear sarcasm that the main character (Marlow) uses drives home the point Conrad is trying to make. I think Conrad utilized detailed imagery of the negative results of common people and their terrible circumstances to show just one of the reasons that imperialism is evil. The fact that the people of the Company were strictly after the prize (ivory) and didn’t care what they did to the natives, or how the natives were forced to live, shows little regard for civilized co-existence and that takeover by force is acceptable (in this case, “the ends unilaterally justify the means”).

4 comments:

  1. Conrad's prose does trend a little purple at times, but it is definitely evocative. Your assessment of the effects of the imperialist patterns is right on target.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you picked up on Conrad's crazy imagery. Its just so descriptive and full of meaning, almost to the point of being overwhelming. However, I agree with your post, and I think your point about Marlow's sarcasm is great, I admit it took me two or three read-throughs to pick up on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imperialism is a word used throughout history and England was fast to realize their place in history relied on how they spread their kingdom. It does take a few reads of HoD to get all the imageries and themes he exalts. Good post James

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Conrad does send a pretty clear message, imperialism is evil. I also enjoyed the sarcasm about how he (Marlow) too, is part of the just proceedings.

    ReplyDelete